With Mother’s Day right around the corner, here’s a tutorial for making an easy, inexpensive gift for the special lady in your life. It’s a method I created for making a satin cord bookmark. (People still read printed books, right?) 🙂
1. Start with approximately 2 feet of satin cord. String a pendant on one end, and leave about a 2″ tail. Tie an overhand knot with both cord ends, and snug it close to the pendant.
2. String a large-hole bead over both cord tails. Place a drop of glue as shown below, and smudge it around with your finger. (The glue will keep your cord end from slipping out later.)
3. Snug the bead down, clip the extra tail off as close to the bead as possible, and then tie an overhand knot as close to the bead as possible. This effectively hides the raw cord end.
4. Now for the end of the bookmark. Slide on two or more large-hole beads. Tie a double overhand knot on the end of cord, and leave about a 2″ tail.
5. Snug the knot tight.
6. Slide the tail up through the bead closest to the knot. Place a drop of glue as pictured below, and pull both strands tight. Snip the tail end as close to the bead as possible.
7. Slide the final beads down to end of the bookmark, and secure them with an overhand knot over the final bead.
Why don’t you make one for your mom? You know she will like it, because you made it!